Man’s home gutted after tea light sparks fire
A blaze started by a tea candle has gutted a man’s home.
Dewsbury Fire Station were called to Pinfold Hill, close to the town centre, at around 5am this morning (Friday).
James McCullough, 36, was woken by the smell of smoke after he fell asleep on the couch in his front room.
He said: “I woke up about 4.30am and the room was full of smoke. I looked round and there were flames licking up the wall.”
Mr McCullough, who lives alone, said a tea candle on top of a stereo speaker set his wallpaper alight.
“The end of the couch was on fire,” he said. “I grabbed my phone, wallet and guitar and left.
“I only just got out – I couldn’t see where I was going.”
Mr McCullough added that the blaze had blown the windows out of his neighbours house.
Three fire engines and an elevated platform were used to tackled the fire.
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for Mirfield
Wednesday 19 June 2013
Temperature: 10 C to 22 C
Wind Speed: 14 mph
Wind direction: North
Temperature: 12 C to 18 C
Wind Speed: 12 mph
Wind direction: East