Man’s home gutted after tea light sparks fire

0
Have your say

A blaze started by a tea candle has gutted a man’s home.

Dewsbury Fire Station were called to Pinfold Hill, close to the town centre, at around 5am this morning (Friday).

House fire - Prospect View in Dewsbury. (D501J309)

House fire - Prospect View in Dewsbury. (D501J309)

James McCullough, 36, was woken by the smell of smoke after he fell asleep on the couch in his front room.

He said: “I woke up about 4.30am and the room was full of smoke. I looked round and there were flames licking up the wall.”

Mr McCullough, who lives alone, said a tea candle on top of a stereo speaker set his wallpaper alight.

“The end of the couch was on fire,” he said. “I grabbed my phone, wallet and guitar and left.

“I only just got out – I couldn’t see where I was going.”

Mr McCullough added that the blaze had blown the windows out of his neighbours house.

Three fire engines and an elevated platform were used to tackled the fire.