AN EXPLOSION that badly damaged the back of a house in Mirfield was caused after a copper pipe was stolen from the building.
Police were called to the house in Hepworth Lane at around 6am on Saturday.
A 53-year-old woman was in the house at the time of the explosion. She had gone into her kitchen and turned on the light, which triggered the blast.
The woman was not injured and managed to get out of the house. Other neighbouring homes were then evacuated and traffic was diverted.
A copper pipe, which attached a gas meter to the boiler of the house had been stolen, causing a gas leak which led to the explosion.
The area was made safe and people were allowed to return to their homes by 11:30am.
Anyone with information should contact DC Paul Greatorex of Dewsbury CID on 01924 431012 or call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.
For the full story, pick up a copy of the Reporter this Friday.