Warning after cat poisoned with anti-freeze

Michelle Cain's cat, Dwylla, was killed by anti freeze poisoning. (AB116a0715)

Michelle Cain's cat, Dwylla, was killed by anti freeze poisoning. (AB116a0715)

0
Have your say

A woman has warned pet owners to be vigilant after her cat was poisoned with anti-freeze.

Michelle Cain’s cat, Dwylla, went missing last Monday and returned three days later showing signs of illness.

She later died as a result of what a vet called anti-freeze poisoning.

Miss Cain, 40, said: “I just don’t get how anyone could want to hurt a cat. I don’t know how anyone can act that way.”

This is not the first time Miss Cain, of Well Lane, Dewsbury Moor, has suffered a tragedy with a pet.

Another cat she owned was shot with an air rifle and killed 12 years ago.

She said there had been a spate attacks on animals in the area around that time.

The vet that saw Dwylla said this was not the only recent case of pet poisoning he had seen and that a cat was brought in with the same symptoms a week before.

The RSPCA said even the smallest amount of antifreeze can kill pets, especially cats, and that any spillages should be cleaned up immediately.

It advises poisons should be kept in robust, locked containers and should always be disposed of carefully.

Symptoms of antifreeze poisoning include vomiting, seeming depressed or sleepy, appearing drunk and uncoordinated, seizures, difficulty breathing, increased thirst and increased urination.

Signs of antifreeze poisoning can be seen 30 minutes after ingestion.

It can be two-three days before signs of kidney failure are seen.

Anyone who suspects their pet has drank poison should go to a vet immediately.

The RSPCA website said: “The sooner your pet receives veterinary treatment, the better their chances of survival.

“If left untreated, antifreeze poisoning can cause pain, suffering and distress and ultimately death.”