Businesses left without power in fire

Latest news...
Latest news...

Businesses were left without power today after a fuse box caught fire.

The box was in an empty unit in an industrial estate in Birstall.

Batley station watch commander John Jackson said workers in the next unit dialled 999 at noon after seeing smoke seeping out from the shutters.

He said: “When we got them open we were faced with popping and crackling. The main fuse board was on a wooden frame and it was giving off a lot of smoke.

“We used a fan to blow the smoke out.”

Mr Jackson said National Power Grid engineers were called to cut off the electricity supply so the fire could be put out.

He said between 300 and 500 metres of Bradford Road was left without power for about two hours while engineers and firefighters worked.
Natural causes sparked the fire, he added.