Chickens killed and saved after shed fire in Hightown

Fire engine
Fire engine
Share this article

A shed fire in Hightown killed at least ten chickens but a dozen more were saved by rescuers.

Firefighters were called to a blazing shed at the back of Hightown Liberal Club on Halifax Road, Liversedge at 2.57pm today (Saturday).

The crew from Cleckheaton found the shed destroyed and ten birds dead.

But a fire service spokesman told how people from the bowling club had braved the heat and dragged over a dozen chickens from the flames and saved them from a “horrible death”.

The cause of the fire is thought to be accidental, possibly a cigarette.