Firefighters tackle blaze at Whiteleys Garden Centre

A fire broke out at Whiteleys Garden Centre in Mirfield last night.

Friday, 27th May 2016, 10:31 am
Updated Friday, 27th May 2016, 11:33 am
Picture by Nick Longley
Picture by Nick Longley

Black smoke could be seen from more than a mile away during the accidental blaze which was caused by a problem with the electrical meter and fuse board.

Due to the cause nature of the fire Northern Powergrid had to isolate and cut off the centre’s electricity so that firefighters could safely extinguish it.

Cleckheaton fire station watch commander Damian Cameron, who did not attend but was passed on details, said: “It has caused quite a bit of damage and smoke damage to the property.

Picture by Nick Longley

“Northern Powergrid had to isolate the power remotely in the road and cut off the power.

“We’ve got to be careful when we’re putting water around.”

Mr Cameron said the blaze occurred in what was roughly a five-by-five metre room but was extinguished effectively.

He also expected that Whiteleys, in Far Common Road, would be closed today – but the centre could not be reached to confirm its plans.

Picture by Nick Longley