Nightclub punch was fatal for Dewsbury accountant

Andrew Feather
Andrew Feather

A Dewsbury firm has paid tribute to a “true gentleman” who was killed at a nightclub.

Andrew Feather died after being assaulted at the Liquid club in Halifax in the early hours of Sunday.

The 38-year-old accountant, who had a young daughter, had worked at pharmaceutical supplies company Telstar Life Sciences UK Ltd, at Shaw Cross Business Park, for seven months, and had quickly became a popular member of staff.

Ann Redshaw, HR and Support Services Manager, on behalf of everyone at Azbil Telstar UK Ltd, said: “Andrew was our Financial Controller and although he had only worked for us for a short time he quickly established himself as a very popular member of the team.

“He will be greatly missed by all who knew him and we feel honoured to have met and worked with him. He was a very easygoing, considerate, genuine guy; a true gentleman and we are all shocked and saddened by what has happened.

“Our heartfelt sympathies go out to his family and friends.”

Mr Feather has been on a night out with friends from Halifax RUFC, where he was club secretary and a second row forward in the second team.

Despite receiving treatment from paramedics after the attack he was pronounced dead at the scene.

A man has since been charged with manslaughter in relation to his death.

Mr Feather’s partner Karen thanked people on Facebook for their messages.

She wrote: “Thanks for all the kind messages, breaking my heart reading them, but he would appreciate them, loved him

so much it hurts.” His parents Gordon and Jennifer are from Norwood Green and he had a brother and sister who have flown home from abroad.

A family statement, released by police, said: “We are deeply saddened by the tragic loss of Andrew this weekend. He was a loving person to everyone that knew him. He was gentle, caring and a good sportsman with a fantastic life ahead of him which has been devastatingly cut short . He will be sorely missed by all whose lives he touched and that is many many people.” A Huddersfield man appeared at Calderdale Magistrates Court on Wednesday charged with manslaughter.

Dale Mclean, 25, of Greenfield Avenue, was refused bail and will appear at Bradford Crown Court on February 19.

l A 33-year-old man was left with a broken jaw after being attacked in Batley’s Frontier nightclub at the weekend.

Police say the assault happened at some point between midnight and 2am on Saturday and are appealing for witnesses. Anyone with information is asked to contact DC Mark Gregory at Kirklees CID via 101.