A relief road around Ravensthorpe is in the pipeline – but it could be 2025 before it is finished.
The project is just one planned for Kirklees and beyond thanks to a £1.4bn West Yorkshire transport fund.
It will also fund £30m of work at the Cooper Bridge junction, which should be finished by 2021.
Peter McBride, Kirklees Cabinet member for investment and regeneration, said the Cooper Bridge gyratory had to be finished first. “You’ve got to have one in place before doing the other,” he said. “There would be no point in doing the relief road first.”
He added: “These projects are absolutely crucial for the whole of North Kirklees. I believe the future of Dewsbury lies in that relief road.”
Coun McBride has consistently stressed the importance of better infrastructure, particularly in manufacturing areas such as Ravensthorpe and Shaw Cross.
“We have got to get the connectivity right to make the area more attractive to business,” he added.
The projects are being overseen by the Combined Authority – all West Yorkshire councils plus York. Papers show that 80 per cent of the funding will come from the government, with the remaining 20 per cent from local authorities.
Another project due to be completed by 2021 will include improvements to the A653 Dewsbury to Leeds corridor. Railway stations throughout the region are also set for a boost.