a FAMILY holiday almost turned to tragedy when a 10 year-old boy slipped and put his hand through a glass partition in a Tenerife hotel.
Tom Haley needed 30 stitches and a cast on his right wrist when the glass shattered as he tried to break his fall.
Dad Michael claims the accident would not have happened had the partition been fitted with toughened glass and is calling on the hotel and travel company involved to put it right as a matter of urgency.
Mr Haley, of Aspen Grove, Dewsbury, said: “There was only a low stud partition wall then a big window. It wasn’t safety glass, so it broke easily and into sharp shards.
“The hotel manager and staff were brilliant and couldn’t do enough for us, but it should never have come to that.
“Because the holiday wasn’t booked as a package we’d have to pursue the case through Spanish law and aren’t likely to have a case, but I’d like to think at least the hotel would change the glass.”
Surgeons have confirmed no damage was caused to muscles or tendons in Tom’s arm.