Tributes to Staincliffe teenager who died in his first week at Mirfield Free Grammar

TRAGEDY: Ahmed Hannan had just started his first term at Mirfield Free Grammar. (d541a236)
TRAGEDY: Ahmed Hannan had just started his first term at Mirfield Free Grammar. (d541a236)

A TEENAGER died after suffering a suspected asthma attack on his second day at a new school.

Hannan Ahmed, 13, joined year nine at Mirfield Free Grammar on Tuesday. He was previously at Batley Business and Enterprise College.

He collapsed during lessons on Wednesday and died at Dewsbury and District Hospital in the early hours of yesterday.

Ian Dutton, headteacher at BBEC, said Hannan was a keen footballer and very popular at the school.

“He was a real pleasure to be with,” Mr Dutton said.

“We will always remember Hannan with his wide smile, his engaging conversation and his passion for enjoying life.”

MFG principal Lorraine Barker said Hannan, of Staincliffe, suffered a suspected asthma attack.

“We did everything we could until the paramedics arrived,” she said. “He was not alone.”

A police spokesman said Hannan had been playing rugby before the attack.

He was taken to hospital and put on a life support machine.

Yesterday family and friends gathered at the Pakistan and Kashmir Welfare Association near the family’s home in Hawthorn Avenue.

Hannan had been a pupil at Madressah Hira in William Street, Staincliffe, since he was five.

Teacher Salma Ahmed said: “He was a child who respected everybody. He was a bubbly child and he was always there for everybody so it’s a big loss.

“He was like one of our own children here. That’s how we feel.”

Ms Ahmed said her father, madressah owner Bashir Ahmed, visited Hannan in hospital on Wednesday night.

She said between 50 and 60 members of Hannan’s family had also visited him and that his life support machine was turned off at around 3.30am on Thursday.

MFG principal Mrs Barker said: “I express my sincere condolences and the school’s extreme sadness about such an unexpected death.”