We all want justice for Summer

No charges will be brought against three people arrested on suspicion of the murder of a Thornhill toddler, police have confirmed.

Saturday, 6th July 2013, 8:06 am
Vicky Rogers' daughter (Summer) died last year while in the care of her and her then boyfriend. No charges have been brought in the case and Vicky wants to clear her name. (D578J328)

Summer Mai Rogers-Ratcliffe, of Nook Green, died on February 28 last year.

Summer’s mum Victoria Rogers, her ex-boyfriend Craig Sharp and her mother Susan Rogers were arrested in connection with the death of the 21-month-old in September.

The trio, all from the Dewsbury area, have been released from bail without charge.

Vicky Rogers' daughter (Summer) died last year while in the care of her and her then boyfriend. No charges have been brought in the case and Vicky wants to clear her name. She is with her mum Susan. (D578A328)

Now both sides of Summer’s family say they will carry on their fight for justice to find out who was responsible for the little girl’s death.

At the time of her death, Summer was in the care of her mother and her boyfriend, 34-year-old Mr Sharp. Ms Rogers had previously split from Summer’s father Joss Ratcliffe.

Summer was admitted to Dewsbury Hospital at around 9am on February 27 2012 with what numerous medical experts have described as a ‘non-accidental trauma’ caused by ‘blunt force’ to her head.

Ms Rogers, 26, said her baby was ‘alive and well’ before she left for work at 6am. In a statement seen by the Reporter, Mr Sharp said he checked on Summer several times after he awoke at 6.30am. She appeared to be asleep and he left for work just after Ms Rogers’ mum arrived.

Susan Rogers arrived at her daughter’s house at 7.40am. She checked on Summer a number of times. She said Summer appeared to be asleep, was then stirring, before picking her up and realising something was wrong and raising the alarm.

James Ratcliffe, Summer’s paternal grandfather, believes someone is responsible for her death. He said: “The fact that no one has been charged doesn’t get away from the fact Summer is not alive.

“At the end of the day someone needs justice for her life. It’s as if Summer’s life wasn’t worth anything – we are not prepared to let that happen.”

The Ratcliffe family are now in the process of lobbying the Prime Minister David Cameron to get justice for Summer.

Ms Rogers said the 16 months since Summer’s death had been ‘worse than a nightmare’. She added: “It’s just been the most devastating, excruciating experience. I can’t even put it into words – I am still waiting to grieve.

“I want them to charge us both [herself and Mr Sharp] and put us on trial and let us be judged that way. I want justice just as much as anybody else. I believe there are more medical experts who can help.

“Right now I am facing the rest of my life not having a clue what happened to my daughter. Summer was the light of my life – she made me. She was the most amazing little girl, so special.”

A police spokesman said: “West Yorkshire Police’s Homicide and Major Enquiry Team carried out a detailed and thorough investigation into the deeply tragic death of Summer Mai Rogers-Ratcliffe.

“This was a complex investigation in which evidence was sought from a number of medical experts and formed part of a comprehensive case file that was submitted to the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS).

“This has now been reviewed by the CPS who believe there is insufficient evidence in order to bring charges against any individual.

“The investigation will remain open pending any new evidence and the three suspects, arrested as part of the investigation, have been released from police bail.”

An inquest was opened and adjourned in May 2012 to allow the release of Summer’s body for burial, but there has yet to be an official ruling on the cause of her death.

Meanwhile Kirklees Council is carrying out its own investigation.

A spokesman said: “A Serious Case Review is ongoing into this case and therefore it would not be appropriate for us to comment.”