Aitcheson returns with fine victory

Tony Aitcheson
Tony Aitcheson

Dewsbury boxer Tony Aitcheson returned after almost four years out of the ring to defeat Nottingham’s Nathan Capeness at Leeds Town Hall.

Capeness came into the ring six pounds heavier then Aitcheson and with a significant height and reach advantage and he posed problems for the Dewsbury Moor man over six two minute rounds.

However, cheered on by 150 supporters who had battled through thick snow to support their man, Aitcheson outpointed his rival.

Aitcheson came out firing and threw punches in search of an early knock-out but the size difference soon became apparent as Capeness caught him with a left to the jaw early on.

Aitcheson gave a glimpse of the power he possesses by landing a fierce right himself as the bell sounded at the end of the first round.

Capeness kept Aitcheson at bay, using his long jab to good effect, but the Dewsbury man began to fight on the inside and targeted his opponents body.

A cracking upper cut from Aitcheson sent Capeness’s gumshield flying and referee Michael Alexander called for a time out, giving the visitor a much needed breather.

Aitcheson forced the bigger Capeness into the corner with a lovely combination of punches and drew blood from his opponent’s nose as he began to take control.

Aitcheson had a cracking fourth round, as he forced Capeness onto the back foot and a fantastic left to the body had him wincing.

A lovely left, flush to the jaw, followed by a right again knocked Capeness’s mouthguard out and brought huge cheers from the Dewsbury following.

Aitcheson relaxed in the fifth, giving Capeness a breather but saved his best for last with a superb final round.

Capeness made an aggressive start but was forced back onto the ropes, where Aitcheson landed a beauty of a right hook and then followed up with a fierce left, which sent him crashing to the canvas.

Capeness managed to beat the count on eight and spent the remainder of the round dancing round the ring in a valiant attempt to avoid a repeat onslaught.

Aitcheson was awarded a 59-55 points win and it proved a very satisfactory return for the Dewsbury man.