Disallowed try key to Rams loss

Dewsbury v Halifax - d03071172  james lockwoof dewsbury
Dewsbury v Halifax - d03071172 james lockwoof dewsbury

Dewsbury Rams 16

Halifax 30

By Andrew Hunt

A DISALLOWED first-half try proved costly as Dewsbury Rams suffered a sixth straight defeat at the hands of Halifax in the Co-operative Championship last Sunday.

The Rams had played some terrific rugby to lead 14-0 after 20 minutes before Pat Walker crossed for what appeared to be Dewsbury’s third try.

Walker latched on to a lovely reverse kick by Dominic Brambani to gather and dive over at the side of the posts.

Referee Matthew Thomason appeared to award the try only for a touchjudge to intervene and the effort was disallowed for offside.

Halifax took advantage and the introduction of substitute Sean Penkywicz inspired the visitors’ fightback.

Pencywicz burrowed over for a 35th minute unconverted try before the hooker produced a deft chip over the defence, which Paul White latched onto to score Halifax’s second try. Danny Jones added the goal to reduce the half-time deficit to 14-10.

Although Walker slotted over a 45th minute penalty to stretch the advantage, Dewsbury wilted in the heat and Halifax took control.

Bob Beswick sold a dummy and raced through a gap and had the strength to hold off the cover defence to plant the ball between the posts and Jones’s conversion levelled matters.

Penkywicz then placed another lovely kick behind the Rams’ defence to the in goal area and White pounced just before it rolled dead, with Jones landing a brilliant touchline goal.

Jones tagged on a penalty and five minutes from time, Halifax completed their victory as Sam Barlow crashed over from acting half back and Jones added the goal to deny Dewsbury a bonus point.

Defeat was harsh on the Rams, who had dominated the opening stages with some excellent attacking rugby but they are now five points adrift of safety with six matches remaining.

Walker and Brambani led the way as Dewsbury tore Halifax apart on the left.

Early pressure told as they stretched the Halifax defence on the left, before they spun the ball quickly right and Brambani’s long pass sent Ayden Faal diving in at the corner, with Walker landing a brilliant touchline goal.

Faal was then felled by a head high tackle and coach Warren Jowitt was quick to send out a message to go for goal, with Walker obliging with a 40-yard penalty.

Second row Richard Fletcher had a terrific game and he broke the defence with a fierce drive before offloading to Austin Buchanan. He raced down the wing, drew a defender and slipped a pass inside for full-back James Craven to storm away and he held off Rob Worrincy to score at the side of the posts. Walker converted.

Dewsbury were convinced they had scored a decisive third try, but although Walker appeared to run from behind kicker Brambani, the touchjudge penalised him for offside. It gave Halifax a boost and they took full advantage to run away with the game after the break and condemn Dewsbury to another defeat.

Dewsbury Rams: Craven; Wainwright, Turner, Faal, Buchanan; Barthau, Brambani; Hirst, Blake, Lockwood, Fletcher, Cosgrove, Walker. Subs: England, Tonks, Smith, Menzies,

Halifax: Greenwood; White, Haley, Fieldhouse, Worrincy; Jones, Black; Gannon, Beswick, Cherryholme, Chandler, Bannister, Barlow. Subs: Nash, Penkywicz, Aizue, Ostick.

Referee: Matthew Thomason. Att: 1266.

Dewsbury Rams Reserves suffered a 30-22 defeat at Halifax last Thursday.

The Rams led 22-6 at half-time with tries from Danny Olpherts, Michael Wainwright, Mike Stewart and Richard Chapman and three Danny Flowers goals but wasn’t enough as Halifax produced a second half fightback.