Five-try Buchanan as Rams romp home

Dewsbury Rams 84

Thatto Heath Crusaders 12

By Andrew Hunt

DEWSBURY Rams put Thatto Heath to the sword last Sunday as they cruised into the Carnegie Challenge Cup fourth round.

The Rams looked on course to break several club records as they ran in nine first half tries to bring up a half-century of points.

Dewsbury’s record win of 90-5 against Blackpool in 1993 was in danger of been shattered, while Patch Walker kicked 12 conversions, one short of the record for goals in a match.

Winger Austin Buchanan was the star of the show, running in five tries. He also had one perfectly good effort disallowed and sent two teammates over to score when he could have perhaps crossed himself. Buchanan may not have realised how close he was to the 105-year old record which saw Dai Thomas score eight tries in a game against Liverpool in 1907.

The scene was set in the first three minutes as Dewsbury cut loose and twice had tries disallowed. Ed Barber leapt to gather Walker’s neat chip and looked to have scored at the side of the posts but was judged to have knocked on.

Scott Spaven then launched a crossfield kick and Buchanan timed his run to perfection, leaping above static winger Phil Morrison to gather and plant the ball down. Referee Chris Kendall consulted his touch judge on the far side and another try was chalked off for offside.

Dewsbury were tearing the Crusaders apart and finally broke the deadlock after six minutes when Walker sent Barber over for a walk-in try and the stand-off converted.

The second came after 18 minutes when Buchanan gathered James Craven’s pass one-handed and cut inside to score, with Walker converting and this kick-started a spell which saw the Rams run in eight tries in 22 minutes.

The introduction of George Flanagan from the bench played a big part in the spree as he dictated play.

Spaven again kicked to Morrison and the sorry winger made a hash of gathering the ball and it popped up for Buchanan to catch and score. Walker goaled and was on target again after Buchanan broke from the re-start and handed onto Walker, who sent Flanagan cantering to the posts.

Buchanan wriggled free of a tackler, following a Craven break, as the winger completed his hat-trick and Walker’s fifth goal made it 30-0.

The game began to get silly as Buchanan gathered another Spaven kick but instead of scoring himself, he sent the returning Rob Spicer over, Michael Wainwright broke before passing inside to give Craven a simple run to the posts while Flanagan nipped over from acting half-back after Dwayne Barker had been held.

Two further Walker conversions made it 46-0 and as the half-time hooter sounded, Dewsbury kept the ball alive and Ryan Esders ended a fine move to make it 50-0.

Billy Harris scored six minutes into the second half after a strong drive by prop Ben Jones before Thatto Heath, having ventured downfield from back-to-back penalties, saw Luke Bradshaw go over for a try which Shaun Quinn converted.

Dewsbury went up the other end and Buchanan crossed for his fourth try in the right corner and Walker added a fine touchline goal.

Thatto’s Andy Lee crossed for a try which Quinn goaled but Wainwright then raced 60 yards to score. Craven added two in quick succession for his hat-trick and Buchanan went over for his fifth try. Walker landed all four goals to end the rout.