Littletown lift Wheatley Cup

Littletown 2

Wyke Wanderers 0

By Richard Pickering

TWO extra-time goals saw Littletown finally end the spirited challenge of Wyke Wanderers to win the Heavy Woollen FA Wheatley Cup final at Ossett Town last Thursday.

Both sides were fully committed to the cause but Littletown prevailed to lift the cup for the seventh time.

After a tight start Littletown went close as Gibril Bojang’s low cross was cleared by Wyke central defender Gavin Turner under pressure from Lamin Bojang.

Soon after neat work by Reece Pollard on the left set up Gibril Bojang who flicked the ball past goalkeeper Ben Sharp but just the wrong side of the post.

Pacy Wyke duo Matt Conway and Karl Fawcett tested the Littletown defence and when Ben Murphy released Conway his low cross into the area was cleared by Duane Bywood as Fawcett prepared to shoot.

Wyke had a golden chance in the 22nd minute when Fawcett was fouled in the area by Bywood but Gary Lupton drilled the penalty close to Littletown goalkeeper Frazer Robinson, who stuck out his left hand to turn it round the post.

Robinson also saved well to deny Sam Digby and Conway before Littletown regained the initiative in the final 10 minutes of the first half. Aidan Schofield grafted hard to create space and after a Neil Griffiths header was half cleared, Pollard’s low drive was saved by Sharp.

After the break Wyke impressed with Digby and Conway going close before Littletown responded. Stanford Bube fed Danny Scott who whipped in a cross from the right and Schofield’s powerful header was tipped over by Sharp.

Pollard, Schofield and Griffiths were all denied by Sharp saves and a minute into extra-time Lamin Bojang beat two men but lashed his shot over when well placed.

The breakthrough came in the 94th minute after appeals that Gibril Bojang’s inswinging corner had crossed the line. The ball was cleared for another corner which broke to Griffiths on the left edge of the area and he lashed home a low drive.

Wyke responded with a quick break by Conway through the heart of the defence but Robinson was off his line quickly to snuff out the danger.

The second period of extra-time saw Gibril Bojang create space on the left before flashing a shot across the face of goal.

Wyke continued to press but Littletown added a decisive second eight minutes from time as a deep cross found Lamin Bojang on the right edge of the area. His first shot was blocked before he fired in another which deflected off Matt Webster into the net giving Sharp no chance.

Littletown: Robinson, Scott, Pollard, Burton, Bywood, Griffiths, Bube, Sykes, Schofield, G Bojang, L Bojang. Subs: Knight, Gomersal, Khan, Metcalfe, Maude.

Wyke Wanderers: Sharp, Cook, Walshe, Ryan, Turner, Murphy, Digby, Lupton, Conway, fawcett, Hall. Subs: Brough, Sheridan, Webster, Brook, Hafijee.

Referee: Neil Munday. Assistant referees: Colin Whittaker, Umar Ahmed. Fourth official: Kevin O’Donnell.