Liversedge turn on Premier style before WR Cup exit

Liversedge 4

Hall Road Rangers 0

LIVERSEDGE turned in a four-star performance last Saturday to record a resounding victory over Hall Road Rangers in the Northern Counties East Football League Premier Division.

Liversedge had been guilty of letting teams off the hook in recent matches but they proved clinical in front of goal against Hall Road and could easily have won by a bigger margin.

Goalkeeper James Waggett made a good early save, diving low down near a post before Sedge took control.

They took a 10th minute lead when Jerry White ran down the wing and having reached the corner flag, attempted a cross, which caught the fierce wind and blew into the top corner.

Alex Hallam clattered a shot against the underside of the crossbar after 19 minutes and less than a minute later Scott Dricoll’s free-kick was headed over by Darryl Leach.

Leach made amends shortly after as he volleyed home from inside the area to make it 2-0.

Liversedge started the second half brightly and a good move between Hallam and Nathan Cartman saw the latter pull the ball back for Driscoll to neatly side foot home the third.

Driscoll was sent in on goal again but side-footed past a post before Liversedge wrapped up a fine victory with a fourth goal after 79 minutes when Hallam’s initial shot was blocked but rebounded for him to fire home.

Liversedge: Waggett, Larkin, White (Hallam 75), Hopkins, Leach, Driscoll (Manousios 78), Hurtley, Shuttleworth (Wasley 66), Bordman, Cartman, Hallam. Sub (not used): Knight.

Garforth Town 4

Liversedge 1

LIVERSEDGE’S West Riding County Cup dreams ended on Tuesday despite a brave effort against Evo Stick Northern Premier League Garforth Town.

The final score was a little harsh on Billy Miller’s men, who were in the contest up until the 80th minute when two goals ended their hopes.

Sedge had a good early chance when Jamie Wasley and Nathan Cartman linked to send Alex Hallam down the line. He crossed to the far post and Wasley shot just wide.

Garforth took the lead when a corner swirled in the wind and Ben Smack tapped home. Sedge hit back three minutes later when Scott Driscoll was on the end of a neat move and showed good feet in the area before slotting home.

Former Liversedge favourite Paul Walker was sent one-on-one with Danny Knight but the goalkeeper saved well and a shock was still on the cards as the sides went into half-time at 1-1.

Liversedge started the second half slowly and Walker scored a rare headed goal when he dived to nod home.

Garforth held their 2-1 advantage until 10 minutes from time when two further goals ended Liversedge’s hopes.

Left-back Andy Villerman ventured up for a corner and headed home to make it 3-1 and after Sedge substitute Joe Jagger saw a fierce drive tipped over the crossbar, Town produced a flowing move that ended with Adam Priestley slotting home.

Liversedge: Knight, Larkin (Cooper 86), Horsman, White, Leach, Hopkins, Wasley, Driscoll (Jagger 55), Bordman, Cartman (Manousios 86), Hallam. Sub (not used): Waggett.