Late tries prove costly in Rams loss

Austin Buchanan races over for a try against Sheffield
Austin Buchanan races over for a try against Sheffield

Dewsbury Rams conceded three tries in the space of 12 minutes as they slipped to a 28-12 defeat to bogey side Sheffield Eagles last Sunday.

For much of the game, Dewsbury were the better side and when Kieran Hyde landed a 55th minute penalty, the Rams appeared on course to end their Sheffield hoodoo.

However, a series of errors gifted Sheffield possession and the impetus to fightback and seal an important win in the race for the Kingstone Press Championship play-offs.

Dewsbury made a bright start, putting the Eagles under pressure.

Tom Hemingway, retaining his place at hooker where he had performed so admirably after replacing Wayne Godwin at Featherstone the previous week, launched a 40-20 downfield.

The Rams moved left from the scrum and Dale Morton looked to have grounded the ball in the corner.

Referee Jamie Bloem ruled the try out but the Rams moved play swiftly across field and Shane Grady scored an unconverted try wide out.

Sheffield responded as Will Hope scooped up a loose ball and raced away. He was caught by Hyde but Matty Garside’s long looping pass sent Misi Taulapapa over wide out, with ex-Ram Patch Walker converting.

Ryan Hepworth, Anthony Thackeray and Ryan Wright were all held close on another Rams attack before Hyde attempted to burrow over on the last tackle but he too was stopped inches short.

Dewsbury were penalised from the next play-the-ball and Sheffield moved quickly to the other end of the field, where Scott Turner forced a Rams defender to knock on and he nipped over to score and the Eagles led 10-4 at half-time.

The Rams showed their intentions at the start of the second half and lovely link up play between Thackeray and Grady looked to have put Austin Buchanan over for a try but Turner managed to get across and tackle the winger into touch short of the line.

A brilliant jinking run by Thackeray was halted in front of the posts but Dewsbury moved right and Karl Pryce sent a superb ball out for Buchanan to race over. Hyde curled over a fine conversion to level matters.

The Rams piled forward and Quentin Laula-Togagae did well to field Thackeray’s high kick but was tackled behind the try line.

Dewsbury drove forward from the drop out and when Sheffield were penalised, Hyde slotted over the goal.

Sheffield turned down a simple shot at goal at the other end and when they lost possession early in the tackle count, it appeared Dewsbury’s luck was in.

Surprisingly, the Eagles also opted to run a second penalty soon after but this time the gamble paid off as Walker’s pass sent Taulapapa over for his second try.

Dominic Brambani’s 40-20 soon after put Sheffield back on attack and Walker’s neat short pass sent Menzie Yere crashing over, with Walker landing a fine conversion.

Buchanan was again taken into touch short of the line and Rams’ hopes were ended soon after when Pryce dropped a pass in front of his own posts and Walker picked up the loose ball toscore between the posts and add the simple goal.

Walker’s late penalty ensured there would be no chance of a Rams bonus point either.