Sedge denied victory as Town fire late strike

Dinnington Town 1

Liversedge 1

LIVERSEDGE were held to a draw by fellow strugglers Dinnington on Tuesday but remain clear of the NCE League Premier Division relegation zone.

It was a scrappy game, which didn’t come to life until the second half. It took 25 minutes for the first real chance when Andy Shuttleworth fed James Hurtley. His pass was latched onto by James Wasley but he fired wide.

Dinnington curled an effort wide at the other end, before Brook Newton was forced off with a knee injury, to be replaced by teenager Adam Hill.

From a neat move Rob Bordman and Hill linked to find Wasley and he laid the ball back to Bordman who shot over.

Liversedge’s best chances of the first half came in the lead up to half-time as Shuttleworth found Hill but he fired into the sidenetting from a tight angle before Hurtley crossed for Chris Hannay but his header rebounded off a post to safety.

Then the deadlock was finally broken, it came from an error by the home goalkeeper.

There appeared little danger as Bordman passed into the area but the goalkeeper called for a ball he was never going to get and as the defence stopped, Hill calmly controlled and tapped home.

From the re-start, Dinnington moved to the other end and a forward was played through only for Cory Larkin to hack the ball into his net attempting to clear his lines. Fortunately for Liversedge, the assistant referee had flagged for offside and the goal was chalked off.

The home side did manage to grab a share of the spoils, when Michael Trench fired an 84th minute free-kick into the top corer for a superb equaliser.

Liversedge: Ashforth, Hewitt, Saville, Larkin, Leach, Hannay (White 65), Hurtley, Shuttleworth, Wasley, Newton (Hill 33), Bordman. Subs (not used): Bojang, Knight (gk).

Hall Road Rangers 2

Liversedge 0

LIVERSEDGE suffered a disappointing defeat at fellow Northern Counties East League Premier Division strugglers Hall Road last Saturday.

Manager Billy Miller was not at the game, as he was taking coaching badges in Manchester, and with assistant Cory Larkin, playing, the Clayborners lacked a leader off the field.

It was a scrappy game, which saw Liversedge give away far too much possession, while the visitors had three players booked and Andy Philp sent off for a second yellow card.

They did, however, create a couple of early chances as Andy Shuttleworth played Philp through on goal but his shot was saved, before the goalkeeper made a fine diving save from a second Philp effort after 15 minutes.

Alan Walker gave Hall Road a 20th minute lead when he cut in from the wing and curled a shot over goalkeeper Lee Ashforth.

Darren Fletcher was booked for a late challenge on the Hall Road No4 and as the two players squared up to each other, Philp tried to separate them but he too was shown a yellow card.

It remained 1-0 at half-time but Liversedge’s task became even harder when Philp received a second booking following a late challenge.

The home side doubled their lead after 70 minutes when Grant Normington drilled home from inside a crowded penalty and Rangers almost piled further misery on Liversedge in the final minute.

Darryl Leach dived in for a tackle but fell forward and then palmed the ball away with his hand to concede a penalty but Ashforth saved his blushes with a fine save from Martin Thacker’s spot kick.

Liversedge: Ashforth, Hewitt, Saville, Hannay, Leach, Fletcher, Hurtley, Shuttleworth, Philp, Larkin (Bojang 84), Bordman. Subs (not used): White, Knight (gk).