Victory boosts survival quest

DEWSBURY RAMS V HUNSLET HAWKS - d14081176'Jack Latus takes on Anthony England
DEWSBURY RAMS V HUNSLET HAWKS - d14081176'Jack Latus takes on Anthony England

Dewsbury Rams 30

Hunslet Hawks 18

By Andrew Hunt

DEWSBURY Rams produced a hardworking display to grind out a vital victory which saw them move away from the foot of the Co-operative Championship last Sunday.

The win leaves Dewsbury two points clear of Hunslet and York and has given them a great chance of producing another great escape to preserve their place in the Championship.

Dewsbury were brilliantly led by props James Lockwood, Steve Crossley and substitute Anthony England as they set a great platform for scrum-half Dominic Brambani to dictate play.

England and Crossley made huge yards to set up good field position, while Lockwood’s graft often goes unnoticed but was also key in the win.

Poor Hunslet discipline cost them deer, especially in the second half, when they conceded 12 penalties, which allowed the Rams to build up a healthy lead, thanks largely to the reliable boot of stand-off Pat Walker.

Hunslet started well but the Rams defence remained tight to thwart them for 18 successive tackles close to their line before the Hawks moved right for Paul March to score in the corner and Jack Latus landed a terrific touchline conversion.

Dewsbury tried to hit back but were thwarted by solid Hunslet defence, although the Hawks showed indiscipline when centre David Clayton was sin-binned for holding down.

Dewsbury were denied while the Hawks were down to 12 men but the Rams eventually breached the defence when Brambani moved the ball right and full-back James Craven in turn shipped the ball on for Michael Wainwright to squeeze in at the corner and Walker levelled matters with the touchline conversion.

Latus then rattled the right post with a 35-yard penalty attempt and it remained 6-6 at half-time.

Walker edged Dewsbury ahead with a 44th minute penalty after Hunslet were penalised for lifting Ayden Faal in a tackle.

Dewsbury attacked from the kick off and Brambani lofted a ball to the left, where Austin Buchanan leapt to palm it back to Faal and he sent Walker racing to the posts for a try which the stand-off converted.

Walker landed another penalty and Dewsbury stretched their lead further in the 54th minute when former Hawk Faal collected another crossfield kick by Brambani and he had the strength to plant the ball down, Walker again landed the conversion and Dewsbury appeared well set at 20-6.

However, Hunslet fought back well as Richie Barnett broke down the left and passed inside for the supporting Danny Ratcliffe to race to the posts, with Latus converting.

Two minutes later stand-off Danny Grimshaw moved play left for Ratcliffe to score his second try in as many minutes and Latus added the goal to reduce the arrears to two points.

Dewsbury followers looked to be in for a nervy final quarter but further Hawks indiscipline allowed the Rams to pull away once more.

Hunslet conceded another penalty at the play the ball and Walker landed the goal before Brambani hammered another penalty 50-yards downfield to launch another Rams attack.

Crossley, Craven and Brambani were all held close to the line before Liam Welham managed to plant the ball under a cluster of defenders to score the Rams fourth try, which Walker improved.

Hunslet conceded another penalty at the play the ball and Walker again obliged with the goal to complete a very satisfactory performance.

Dewsbury Rams: Craven; Wainwright, Welham, Faal, Buchanan; Walker, Brambani; Lockwood, Blake, Crossley, Spicer, Fletcher, Tonks. Subs: Menzies, England, Cosgrove, Barlow.

Hunslet Hawks: Ratcliffe; Barnett, Clayton, Latus, Pryce; Grimshaw, March; Sullivan, Haigh, Houston, Blakeway, Oakes, Haughey. Subs: McLocklan, Helme, Lowe, Yates.

Referee: G Stokes,

Attendance: 1066.